Jan 02 2012
Questions totally stolen from All and Sundry, same as every other thieving bastard on the internet
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Ummmm… moved in with the boy? Apart from that, there wasn’t really a heap of new ground covered. Oh, and applied for new jobs/promotions as well (one of which I actually managed to get, thank ceiling cat, because otherwise I’d be looking forward to another year of endless debt and sadness!)
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I kinda suck ass at resolutions. Don’t think I made any, although I usually plan to write more. And then I fail at it.
I guess this year’s resolution will be the same. Write more. Take more pictures. Stop losing the charger for my camera’s battery so I can take more pictures.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Two of my very close friends had their baby Piper in November. Two other good friends had their baby Gabriella on New Year’s Eve, as did my uncle and his girlfriend, welcoming Noah in to the world just before midnight.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully, no. A few people died who weren’t close close friends, but that was about it.
5. What countries did you visit?
None, sadly. Travel plans are on hiatus due to lack of funds, lack of motivation, and a stupid but irrepressible desire to buy a house and start a family. Gah.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
The ability to cope with shit. I suspect that is coming along nicely, thanks to the wonders of modern science, medication, and all that jazz.
A house of my god damn own. I am so tired of living in teacher housing, and I want to be able to do all the things one can do to their own home (that is – start renovating and never finish, put pictures up everywhere then move them again, and constantly have to spend money fixing things).
Save money for once in my life (I know this goal is totally incompatible with the above goal).
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
None that I can think of, although I am notoriously bad with dates. It was more a year of a lot of really blah shit, with nothing memorable jumping out at me at the moment.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Got a promotion. I guess that’s pretty good. Alternatively, I actually got off my arse and went to the doctor – it’s only taken me my whole life to sort my head out, so that’s something.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Attempting to fix my finances… only to make them worse. Many many times.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major or specific that I can think of. Just the usual colds, broken toes, and a hellish 3 month long bout of asthma that landed me in the god damn hospital and in bed for quite a while. Curse you, cotton farmers.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Does it count if I say my dog? Because she is pretty fricking awesome. Apart from that, I tried to refrain from spending money last year, and I think I did OK.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Bills. Debts from years previous. New fridge and other shit we needed for the house. Feeding the zoo.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Not much really. Getting a promotion, I guess, even if that did cause 4 months or so of stress waiting for contractual details to be finalised.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Not in a good way, that bloody Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO. Gah. Never chaperoning a school disco again. Played. To. Death.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Well… generally sadder, thanks to a couple of major depressive episodes.
– thinner or fatter? Fatter. Easily fatter.
– richer or poorer? Poorer. Although I think that’s a constant for life.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Cooking. I’ve really cut back on the baking, and it shows in my stress levels. Although it meant I did lose some weight. Taking pictures… I will find my camera charger somewhere! Getting out with the dogs more at the river… I’m very unfit, they are very unfit, it’s just a sad state of affairs all round.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Arguing with the boy. I really have had no patience last year. Wallowing in sadness instead of doing something about it. Hiding in the house.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
With my parents, same as every year, at their place. Did not see the boy at all. Subject of much anger and argument, which still kinda pisses me off when I think about it. I might be over it by next Christmas, perhaps.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Community. Hands down. I was probably more addicted to Community than any other show, and there were some good shows last year.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Oh my. I got off my arse and read the Hunger Games trilogy last year, which I really enjoyed. I’m sure I read other books, but there were so many they all just kinda blurred together. And I rarely buy ‘new’ books, so nothing that was released in 2011.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
2011 felt like a giant black hole of musicdom. Yukyukyuk. Although I rarely go to the effort to listen to anything new – I don’t often get the opportunity to listen to my music anymore.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Again, giant black hole. It’s like 2011 was the year culture died. Harry Potter was pretty wonderful. Apart from that, I don’t remember feeling excited about anything. I did enjoy 50/50, but technically it hadn’t been released I think.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went to the pub, didn’t get drunk if I recall correctly. Worked, because my birthday always falls in the last week of term. My kids did buy me chocolate and lollies, which was really awesome. I turned 26.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being organised and feeling less anxious. I might have actually gotten somewhere. Possibly putting off having the boy move in? Although I don’t think that would have changed much.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
This year was the year of baggy, tent like tops. I am swimming in tent like clothing. Or it is swimming on me. Either way.
26. What kept you sane?
Nothing. I think we can count this as the year I felt most insane. All the time. 2012 will be sane though, I hope!
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
You aren’t imagining things. Usually. Seek help.